Welby Way Charter Elementary School and Gifted/High Ability Magnet Center
23456 Welby Way West Hills, CA 91307 | (818) 348-
Welby Way Charter Elementary FAQs
1. The kinder yard is closed upon dismissal every day. The District does not provide a Youth Services coach to monitor the kinder yard. Without a District employee, students may not remain on the kinder yard after school, even with parental supervision.
2. The main yard is open until 6:00 p.m. on all school days. Per the District’s policy, the main yard is open ONLY TO STUDENTS SECOND THROUGH FIFTH GRADES. Kindergartners and first graders MAY NOT remain on the yard after school, even with an older sibling, for their safety. The Youth Services division of the LAUSD provides one coach to monitor the entire yard after school. The Youth Services program is an open-
4. Our Parker enrichment classes: We have four (4) sessions throughout the school year with a variety of courses offered. More information forthcoming.
5. The school yard is open at 7:30 a.m. for students to be dropped off. Kindergarten students may wait for the start of school at the kinder yard, and all other students may wait on the main yard. Each yard will have one yard supervision employee. For the students’ safety, the apparatus and game areas are closed on the main yard before school. Students may line up in his/her designated area or stay in the lunch pavilion area to talk, read, and socialize.
6. Although we have many families who walk to school, the majority drive to school. Traffic around our school during the peak drop-
a. Do not stop your car in the middle of the street to drop-
b. Follow the established flow of traffic – the passenger side should always be closest to the school’s perimeter.
c. If you have parked across the street, DO NOT JAYWALK. Walk to the nearest crosswalk and cross at the intersection.
d. Do not stand across the street and wave to your child to run across the street to meet you.
e. Do not sit in your car and wait for your children to come meet you during the pick-
f. Just one car waiting for children who have not come out of the school gates and hold up the rest of traffic.
g. Do not honk for your children.
h. Do not park in the Church parking lot across the street. It is private property and your car can be ticketed.
1. Remember that every child’s safety should be your main concern.
2. Remember that the children are watching what you say and how you choose to follow the rules.
3. Remain calm and courteous at all times.
4. Respect our neighbors and their property. They watch our school and our children for us to keep them safe. They are the first to call the police if they see anything suspicious. Our neighbors are our partners.
5. Park a couple of blocks away or use the valet system to drop off your children.